RE: Maybe simple question

2003-12-15 23:36:47
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
[mailto:owner-spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com] On Behalf Of Alan
Hodgson
Sent: December 15, 2003 2:45 AM
To: spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
Subject: Re: [spf-discuss] Maybe simple question

Yes it will require changes in the way some people use
E-mail.  However, the technology to handle it is all in
place; it just requires IT staff to configure it.  It's
really not that big a deal.  I personally think IT staff will
welcome having some control over where staff (and others)
make use of company E-mail addresses.

Oh, I agree with your last statement entirely. I'm just unsure if this is a
Good Thing for the end user, that's all... And what about in the case where
you're dealing with a commercial ISP? Charge $X/month for "off-net SMTP AUTH
access", set up your SPF records, and boom, you've now created a fantastic
way to transfer money from your customers' pockets into yours because
someone with their mail hosted at that ISP has absolutely zero choice (other
than going through the trouble of finding another suitable hosting provider,
and a search for a new ISP is costly too) other than to pay up their SPF
ransom. For a web hosting shop, this is even better: put in SPF records for
your customers restricting mail sending so it's only allowed from your
extra-cost SMTP relaying, and everyone who doesn't buy the extra cost SMTP
relaying service or find a provider stupid enough not to play this game will
suddenly have inbound-only email, which is hardly appropriate for a small or
larger business.

I had to defend the "block mail from end-user IP addresses" policies that
are common these days to a friend a few days ago - people already see those
things as a way for ISPs to screw them over, not as a way to fight spam. If
SPF results in the creation of a fantastic way for ISPs and web hosting
shops to increase their profits, shouldn't we/you be worried that SPF-using
domains will be seen as a cartel out to ensure each other's ability to
extort more money from their customers? (Note: I'm not saying that's the
real intention of SPF here, because I don't think it is... I just think that
that's how some people (possibly funded by spammers :P) will describe it)

Vivien

http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname(_at_)½§Åv¼ð¦¾Øß´ëù1Ií-»Fqx(_dot_)com