Re: Maybe simple question

2003-12-15 00:44:46
On Sun, Dec 14, 2003 at 11:34:26PM -0500, Vivien M. wrote:
The problem with SPF is this: anyone who has SPF records must provide an
SMTP AUTH (or other mechanism) relay for its users once they leave that
organization's IP pool. That's what I think Mr. Harvey was trying to argue,
and a serious problem for some people.

I'm not convinced that Mr. Harvey was doing anything but trolling, but leaving
that aside for a moment, SMTP AUTH is not that hard to setup.  Hell, even
Exchange can do it.  It is the job of those IT staff to provide services
necessary for their customers (users) to work.  It is also their job to set
security policy - if they don't want employees sending mail from outside their
system, then they will set policy (and SPF records) accordingly.

Yes it will require changes in the way some people use E-mail.  However, the
technology to handle it is all in place; it just requires IT staff to configure
it.  It's really not that big a deal.  I personally think IT staff will
welcome having some control over where staff (and others) make use of
company E-mail addresses.

--
"If a nation values anything more than freedom, it will lose its freedom;
and the irony of it is that if it is comfort or money that it values more,