Re: Maybe simple question

2003-12-14 19:29:13
On Sunday 14 December 2003 12:10 am, Edward Ned Harvey wrote:
With SPF, the path for person-to-person mail would need to be
guaranteed.  Mail

You're talking about a complete rewrite of smtp protocol.

I don't have this mail anymore so can't fathom out what this is about.

from joe.com will have to come from a servers that is allowed to
send mail to
"the world" from joe.com.  How Joe gets mail to one of those
servers, while
travelling or not, is irrelevant to the final recipient.

Or, of course, the DNS admin for joe.com can say that mail from
joe.com can
come from anywhere (or just not publish an SPF record).  Which

Even if I publish an spf record saying that spf(_at_)nedharvey(_dot_)com
sends mail
from smtp.rcn.com or smtp.aol.com or whatever, that's already allowing 2
million people forge my address and be verified "authentic."  If we make it
even broader, it's useless.

You don't write spf records saying that a specific email user send a mail.
 It's a domain compared to an IP address.

It's accomplished on a domain basis.

smtp auth, pop before send and sasl/ssl work for most people when they travel.
Also that's connecting to your ISP/domain.  Why should anyone let you  use
their services for free.  Set up encrypted web access to your mail server.

I may be new to this, but why do you think that putting smtp.aol.com in your
nedharvey.com DNS is going to work.

The IP you send from won't match aol's smtp servers.

???

Martin
--
1: No code table for op: ++post