RE: Maybe simple question

2003-12-16 13:52:02
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
[mailto:owner-spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com] On Behalf Of Arik
Baratz
Sent: December 16, 2003 9:55 AM
To: spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
Subject: RE: [spf-discuss] Maybe simple question

Oh, I agree with your last statement entirely. I'm just
unsure if this
is a Good Thing for the end user, that's all... And what
about in the
case where

Let me be blunt here: The end user is not the target of SPF.
The owner of the domain is. And SPF gives the DOMAIN OWNER
better CONTROL of what's being done with HIS DOMAIN, that he
has spent MONEY buying, advertising, trademarking, etc. etc.

If the DOMAIN OWNER wants to put TRUST in he hands of the end
user and let the end user send mail with his domain, let him
use SPF and related mechanisms in such a way that makes it
possible for everyone (for example "v=spf1 +all") or for some
people (authenticated SMTP, web-mail) to use the domain name.

If the end user feels so strongly about using his own domain,
let him buy his own domain and then he has complete control
over who can and can't use that domain in outgoing email.

So we both agree that SPF has as a key "side effect" that it empowers domain
owners, at the expense of everyone else, whether they be good (eg:
customers, employees, etc) or bad (spammers). We just disagree on whether
this is desirable.

I think you're confusing DNS hosting with other forms of
hosting. You can host your web site with ISP A, while the DNS
is hosted with another ISP, let's assume ISP B (which can be
for instance a free DNS provider like xname.org or
granitecanyon.net). You can then use ISP B's tools to modify
your SPF record as much as you like, to whatever you want,
and you can set up your own SMTP server (even on a dynamic
address, using some dynamic DNS provider) and do as you
please, ISP A or no ISP A. Your web hosting provider, ISP A,
have no way of forcing your hand.

What about if your web hosting provider says "We must host your DNS,
otherwise you can't use our web hosting service"

You're confused about the way a lot of smaller-scale hosting is sold: a lot
of hosting providers will send you a combination DNS/web/email hosting deal,
and unless you're really good with DNS (in which case, just recreate
appropriate DNS records with an external DNS provider and hope the web
hosting shop doesn't notice that the domain isn't delegated to them - and
pray the web hosting shop doesn't renumber), you can't split up those
services.

Now, if you were buying on a larger scale, sure, you can mix and match...
But try it with your average $20-50/month hosting package.

Vivien

http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname(_at_)½§Åv¼ð¦¾Øß´ëù1Ií-»Fqx(_dot_)com