RE: Maybe simple question

2003-12-16 14:34:28

--"Vivien M." <vivienm(_at_)dyndns(_dot_)org> wrote:
So we both agree that SPF has as a key "side effect" that it empowers
domain owners, at the expense of everyone else, whether they be good (eg:
customers, employees, etc) or bad (spammers). We just disagree on whether
this is desirable.

This line of reasoning assumes that the "domain owner" is different from the "domain users". I don't think I agree with this. Usually I think of the "domain owner" as the entire organization, including any authorized users.

However, your point seems to be that the "organization" may have disagreements within itself, like between the DNS team and the IT team (or possibly the anti-abuse-support team). That can certainly happen. The organization and its leaders/managers/responsible people need to work out a consistent story among themselves.

Several of the suggestions already made here would probably work, some would be awkward, some would be overly-permissive. Also, there is always the option of keeping the "status quo" and not publishing any SPF records. The domain owner ultimately has the responsibility of either publishing info to authorize certain users, or to not do anything, and must accept the consequences.

Anyway, I think the idea that the DNS admins would make such a change without even talking to IT or taking care of the users to be a little far-fetched. Granted, there are crappy admins out there, just like there are incompetent people in any job, so it could happen. But IT is part of the organization too and they have a recourse. If there are communication problems between domain admins and IT, that comes from problems that existed before, and is probably not driven by SPF or any other tool. Similarly, if IT doesn't care about the users working from home, then they will be held accountable for their actions too, by the managers/leaders (who are the Real "domain owners").

gregc