RE: Maybe simple question

2003-12-16 09:50:20

-----Original Message-----
From: Jon Loeliger [mailto:spf(_at_)jdl(_dot_)com]

[snip]

That aside, hacking DNS servers is too opportunistic for a spammer to
make a business of. There is a good opportunity with zombies, because
a set precentage of people are stupid and don't patch their
computers and if they patch they open executables they got by
mail. DNS administrators belong to a less stupid race. It may work
for a one-time campaign, but the spammer can't make a living.

Uh, if you think the Spammer are NOT doing DNS hacks, you need
to join the SPAM-L list[1] and Become Enlightened.[2]  There

Indeed, Jon, I am shocked, awed and as you termed it Enlightened. Yet
these problems are mainly social engineering, not bug exploits, so that
argument is still valid, but I was wrong thinking spammers can't do that
systematically and profit.

Your argument is very true. Like SPF to SMTP, ARIN has to phase out
their old, naive ways and start making sure every registration has an audit
trail.

When my company requested some /24 networks, we were scrutinized,
had to fill forms from here to yonder, and we had our existing range probed
for usage (they used actual pings for that), and our upstream provider had
to verify. We got the allocation. Now if only existing allocations would
likewise be examined...

I'm going to check out my address ranges now, see if I still have them
all. I have one or two that fell into disuse.

-- Arik
This email and attachments have been scanned for
potential proprietary or sensitive information leakage.

PortAuthority(TM)  Server
Keeping Information Inside
Vidius, Inc.
www.vidius.com