secondary MX

2004-01-09 08:58:45
On Fri, Jan 09, 2004 at 04:49:34PM +0100, Alain Knaff wrote:

| However, I ran into the following problem: if I install the SPF
| milter, it will reject all mail from SPF'ed domains (such as aol.com)
| that passed through my own secondary MX. I guess that makes sense,
| because my secondary MX is obviously not listed in AOL's SPF list, but
| shouldn't there be a way to inform the Milter about my own MX'es?

The simple answer is: you should whitelist your secondary MXes.  There
are a number of cases where SPF does not apply, and this is one of them.

Secondary MXes should have spam protection as good as on your primary.
If they don't, you shouldn't be using them.  The historical
justifications for secondarying have been dwarfed by the fact that
spammers actively seek out secondaries and hit them first, hit them harder.