Re: New DNS record issue.

2004-01-13 09:45:27
Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:

In effect what you are saying here is that SPF is going to be so important
that it can in effect claim TXT for exclusive use.

No-one's claiming that, AFAICS. The v=spf# string neatly takes the mimimum slice of TXT that it can work with, leaving it otherwise free for its current uses.

If anyone's yet seen even a partial collision with TXT records starting with something approximating v=spf, please point it out.

Once SPF takes off we can get its own record type, but until it does, that won't happen - we might as well ask for a specific record type for "domain owner's geek code".

Beside which, of course, TXT works. _spf doesn't (or at least when I asked before how to put an underscore into a record name in BIND, no-one could answer).

Meng added: >>The way I see it, the TXT record has been hidden away for safekeeping
almost since the dawn of the age of DNS. Now an enemy has appeared that
is worthy of this weapon.  Let us use it!  This was the moment it has
waited for, during the long years it slumbered under the mountain. Er.
Yeah.  That was a really good movie.

You think you've been overdoing it a bit recently? Without casting further aspersions on your personal hobbits, that does seem to be fairly true - I've yet to see, while searching for TXT "v=spf" records, a TXT record of any other usage.

What I am saying here is lets use this weapon but take a few precautions so
that we don't end up getting hit by the backfire. Remember that we also want
to be able to use the TXT record to do other stuff ourselves to slay the
spam dragon:

MTAMark         - This IP address has these properties.
Receiver Info - I understand SPF and also accept hashcash and domain keys as message authentication
mechanisms.
IPSec                   - I do IPSec, here is my key

Can you expand on that (or give me some pointers to look elsewhere) purely for my curiosity?

        TIA,
                Wechsler