RE: New DNS record issue.

2004-01-13 08:42:19

And because the SPF project wants to convince every single
domain owner
in existence, the delta between "_spf." and "" becomes significant.

It becomes significant if you start colliding with other records.

In effect what you are saying here is that SPF is going to be so important
that it can in effect claim TXT for exclusive use.

 Nobody really cares.  Besides, it's
due to that kind of thinking that some DNS providers won't let you do
underscores.  It's easier to talk them into TXT.

If nobody cares lets do it my way. I care rather a lot. The DNS
infrastructure is something we care rather a lot about.

Lets get some review on this issue from Paul Mockapetris, he did invent the
DNS after all.

The way I see it, the TXT record has been hidden away for safekeeping
almost since the dawn of the age of DNS.  Now an enemy has
appeared that
is worthy of this weapon.  Let us use it!  This was the moment it has
waited for, during the long years it slumbered under the
mountain.  Er.
Yeah.  That was a really good movie.

What I am saying here is lets use this weapon but take a few precautions so
that we don't end up getting hit by the backfire. Remember that we also want
to be able to use the TXT record to do other stuff ourselves to slay the
spam dragon:

MTAMark         - This IP address has these properties.
Receiver Info   - I understand SPF and also accept hashcash
                        and domain keys as message authentication
mechanisms.
IPSec                   - I do IPSec, here is my key

                Phill