RE: New DNS record issue.

2004-01-13 13:30:15
Option C

A third option is to re-use the existing mechanism defined by the SRV
record. Essentially you use a DNS name that is not a legal domain name to
use as a selector for the item you want to retrieve. This scheme is I
beleive compeletely compatible with the existing DNS infrastructure since
even though underscore is not a legitimate DNS character, it is a
potentially a legitimate character in Heisod, Chaos or any of the other
name
spaces the DNS might be asked to support.

I like Option C.  In addition to being "cleaner", it allows you to do
interesting things like this:

_spf.foo.com.                        TXT   "v=spf1 mx -all"
future-extension._spf.foo.com.       TXT   "bar=baz"
param.future-extension._spf.foo.com. CNAME zot.example.com.

(umm, at least I think it's possible to do stuff like that.  I'm no DNS
guru...)

This flexibility might go a long way in future-proofing the standard.

Richard