Re: New DNS record issue.

2004-01-14 02:32:56

On Jan 14, 2004, at 1:16 AM, geoffj wrote:

_spf.foo.com.                        TXT   "v=spf1 mx -all"
future-extension._spf.foo.com.       TXT   "bar=baz"
param.future-extension._spf.foo.com. CNAME zot.example.com.

What confuses me in all these examples of SRV REQUESTs is that
no one is quoting examples of actual SRV ANSWERs. An SRV REQUEST should
return an SRV ANSWER or ANSWERs, as well as other stuff if you want (and if
your DNS server will let you do it). I know only a little more about
Bind than I did yesterday, but I doubt it will let you add TXT records
to an SRV REPLY, and it won't add them itself if it follows the RFC.
The RFC (2782) gives an
example of an SRV REPLY, which looks like this (edited but no TXT records removed!)

You are confused. Nobody is suggesting to use actual SRV records, only the name space separation mechanism that is defined in the SRV RFC.

 - ask

--
http://www.askbjoernhansen.com/