RE: Re[3]: Lawsuits, angry business users, and SPF stupidity.

2004-01-13 11:29:48

Thomas R. Stephenson wrote

Now what happens when you receive mail from a domain that does not
support this SPF function?  or if the owner of this domain says accept

mail from all IP address?  What can you assume?

1.  The server does not support the option.

2.  The domain owner does not care to control the sending locations of

    this domain name.

What you cannot assume is that any mail that is received from these
domains is spam.

This is where I diverge distinctly from some on the list.  As an
email-server operator (for the business at which I am employed and for
my own personal domains), I want choice.  I do NOT want these decisions
hard-coded in the software or even specified in the protocol.  And I
don't particularly care whether the SPF check is done in real time or if
the message is received in full and then processed.  In fact, I believe
that this allow SPF to be fully-integrated with other spam-related
utilities.

Given the current state of adoption for SPF, my 'rules' would be:
1) SPF Pass -> run through spam checker, but give benefit of doubt.
2) SPF Fail (-all) -> delete.
3) SPF Fail (?all) -> run through spam checker.
4) No SPF record -> run through spam checker.

But in a world of high-adoption (say 80%), my 'rules' would be:
1) SPF Pass -> run through spam checker, but give benefit of doubt.
2) SPF Fail (-all) -> delete.
3) SPF Fail (?all) -> delete, but with notification.
4) No SPF record -> delete, but with notification.

by "but with notification", I mean that my server would send the sender
an email stating that their email has been deleted and the reason why
that was done.

Similarly, I'm sure that you will be able to find an ISP (or
just an email provider) that won't do SPF checks.  As a user
of your ISP, you are subject to the policies that they put
into effect.

You are correct, but many people do not have much choice of changing
ISPs.  I can pick and chose and ISP that does what I want, there are a

lot of places where this level of choice does not exist.

I was not talking about switching ISP's fully (connection), but only
switching your SP for email.  Such as hotmail.

Marc