Re: Lawsuits, angry business users, and SPF stupidity.

2004-01-13 12:27:47
On Wed, Jan 14, 2004 at 12:50:34AM +1100, Chris Drake wrote:

| Thanks for your clearly put overview.  The problem is that "you as the
| domain owner" is an isolated and comparatively rare case. Most people
| sending emails do so using their ISP's domain. They do not own the
| domain. If they choose to use 3rd party tools or products, or to send
| from elsewhere, or to run their own outgoing servers, SPF is going to
| punish them (*and* the 3rd party providers - which is *me* - which is
| why I am against SPF)

And it's such a shame that you cannot see the ways to not only avoid
the problems that you see in SPF, but to also offer a service that lets
your customers avoid those same problems, and make money while doing
this.  Why should your customers depend on the mail box at their access
providers (such as their local DSL provider), when they can instead use
the more reliable and secure mail box that you can provide, along with
the more customizable service and personal support a smaller business
like yours can provide.

| It is unreasonable to expect people to switch ISP, and vast numbers of
| users do not have this luxury (eg: think ADSL or cable or satellite
| users around the world where there is little/no service competition),
| and I think it is rude to develop a standard that is going to force
| people to do this (see the first line at
| http://spf.pobox.com/newheader.html for my definition of "force")
| ISP's *can* choose to implement this as a "block" or as a "notify"
| system, but "block" is trivially easy, and "notify" is ghastly and
| difficult for most ISP MTA's, so you can guess which one they're going
| to pick...

They don't need to switch ACCESS provider to use another MAIL SERVICE
PROVIDER, such as yourself (if you ever open your eyes up and realize
you can provide such services and get more business this way).

| Phil Howard KA9WGN       | http://linuxhomepage.com/      http://ham.org/ |
| (first name) at ipal.net | http://phil.ipal.org/   http://ka9wgn.ham.org/ |