Re: Mail with suspicious HTML tag discarded.

2004-01-14 23:41:04
I fired off a "warning-like" message to the snert.net postmaster, before I saw the thread started by wayne. I intended it to sound like a warning, but it actually isn't, since I'm not really the list administrator :)

Such auto-reply behavior would not be tolerated on one of my own mailing lists.. I would have unsubbed the user(s) at that domain and blocked them from subscribing again by now.

If any of the snert.net users happen to see the message, please complain to your admin about the irresponsible/promiscuous replying, and/or consider subscribing from another address.

---------- Forwarded Message ----------
Date: Wednesday, January 14, 2004 10:07 PM -0800
From: Greg Connor <gconnor(_at_)nekodojo(_dot_)org>
To: root(_at_)pop(_dot_)snert(_dot_)net, postmaster(_at_)snert(_dot_)net

Your "security" message was sent to the entire mailing list.  This is
unacceptable!

If you have a problem with a message and need to contact the sender, proper
RFC behavior is to use the Return-Path (the address given in the SMTP
transaction) and NOT the From: or Reply-to: in the headers.  The users in
the From and Reply-to fields have no control over the list itself.

If this auto-reply was generated by software, you should complain to the
software vendor about their disregard for Internet standards.  You should
either upgrade to a fixed version or turn off the auto-reply feature.  If
your system continues to send these warning messages to the ENTIRE list,
your users may be removed from the list and your site may be banned from
using the list server.

Thanks,
gregc