Re: The case for XML

2004-01-21 15:56:55
Le 04-01-21, à 16:19, Meng Weng Wong a écrit :
Suppose we keep the simple SPF syntax for the common mechanisms: a, mx,
ptr, ip4. They're the ones that bring 90% of the benefit for 90% of the
population, at least today.

But we add a new mechanism that indicates where the full-fledged XML
policy document can be found.  If that policy document is present, it
overrides the regular SPF declarations.

  xml:_ep.%{d}

Think of it as an "include" with a twist in the language along the way.

People, including me, complain that SPF is allready too complex, IMHO, adding XML support to SPF would be insane. XML is nice from an acamedic/theoric point of view, but I find it bloated for lightweight applications. An analogy could be made with C and Java, C is fast and not so elegant, while Java is elegant but big and slow.

Speaking of that, what's the lightest XML parser that you know of? One of my former professors has done a C++ implementation(1) in roughly 500 lines, but it's not 100% compliant.

Ref:
1: The doxygen docs are available at:
http://manitou.gel.ulaval.ca/~parizeau/doc/a00167.html
and the code can be downloaded from CVS with:
cvs
-d:pserver:anonymous(_at_)manitou(_dot_)gel(_dot_)ulaval(_dot_)ca:/Users/parizeau/CVS
 login
cvs -d:pserver:anonymous(_at_)manitou(_dot_)gel(_dot_)ulaval(_dot_)ca:/Users/parizeau/CVS checkout XML

GFK's
--
Guillaume Filion, ing. jr
Logidac Tech., Beaumont, Québec, Canada - http://logidac.com/