Re: The case for XML

2004-01-22 02:05:38
On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 06:24:55PM -0500, Meng Weng Wong wrote:

| On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 04:32:07PM -0600, wayne wrote:
| |
| | Near the end, I said:
| |
| | > BUNK!
| |
| | Sorry about that folks.  I kind of lost it at the end and expressed my
| | ideas in a far more inflammatory fashion than I should have.
| |

| that does illustrate one of the problems with XML, though: the gut
| reaction, the emotional responses.
|
| As William Gibson said in "Pattern Recognition", "Emotion makes us buy
| things."
|
| Emotion also makes us not buy things.
|
| If there's enough emotion in the admin community against XML, even if
| it's technically superior, we might as well not bother.

Now I'll go back the other way.  XML has its place, and in time it could
have a lot more places.  Could DNS some day be using an XML format?  Sure.
Had it been doing so today I think no one would have any problem with
SPF simply extending it.  If/when a new DNS does come out in XML flavor,
SPF can do the same along with it.  It would be kind of silly NOT to then.
But for now, a lean SPF needs to be aligned with a lean DNS.  In 20 years
we'll have computers so spectacularly fast, and gigabit++ network access
for all, that it won't matter.  But for now, it just doesn't make sense
to add all that weight on.

| Besides, see Don Norman: often emotion is very smart, smarter than we
| are.

Instinct.

| Phil Howard KA9WGN       | http://linuxhomepage.com/      http://ham.org/ |
| (first name) at ipal.net | http://phil.ipal.org/   http://ka9wgn.ham.org/ |