Re: Response to the Bellovin Critique of SPF

2004-01-24 00:28:49
On 01/24/2004 at 01:42 it was written:

|  The basic concept may or may not be a good idea.  The
|  authors themselves admit that it's only part of a total
|  anti-spam solution, and I'm not convinced that it's worth
|  the deployment effort.  Its strongest in dealing with "joe
|  jobs" -- spammers (and worms) impersonating real email
|  addresses -- but that's the part that most runs afoul of
|  my semantic concerns.

The major ISPs are convinced that some kind of sender authentication
scheme is worth the deployment effort.  Of the three alternatives on the
table, the SPF scheme requires the least deployment effort.

Because it alone promises to reduce the volume of joe-jobs, people have
been eager to adopt it, because it promises a direct benefit.

Though I am new to SPF for the last week, I have read through all of the specs.
and a good portion of the list archives. I like to understand where an RFC
comes from, it makes it easier to understand the design and implementation
decisions that have been made.

The one item I am most impressed with is the simplicity the solution provides
for handling joe-jobs.

But, I do also see that the _real_ value of SPF is the concentration of
addressing joe-jobs only.

The areas of what I have read that tend to say, imply, etc., that SPF can be
used to address other UCE issues tend to rely on empirical or assumed
situations.

I would advise avoiding this as much as possible. Concentrate on SPF's
strength: addressing joe-jobs.

Hopefully I will be able to provide some meaningful contributions to the
technical aspects of SPF as it moves forward.

Cheers!

Steven G. Willis     sgwillis(_at_)deepskytech(_dot_)com       772.794.9494
Deep Sky Technologies, Inc.          http://www.deepskytech.com/
http://www.badchickens.com/         http://www.store-secure.com/
AIM-iChat: dstisgwillis