return of softfail, and its sidekick 'none'

2004-01-24 09:33:48
On Sat, Jan 24, 2004 at 01:42:43AM -0500, Meng Weng Wong wrote:

| "Unknown" is strictly defined: a client must proceed as though the
| domain did not publish SPF records.  Usually, this means giving the
| message the benefit of the doubt, even if that means additional content
| filtering.
|
| Distinguishing "none" from "unknown" encourages clients to treat
| "unknown" as "fail".  If too many clients make this judgement, the
| integrity of the projhect would be threatened.  That is why I felt it
| was important to omit the "none" return code.  If it turns out I was
| wrong, we can change this in spf v2.

But if we bring back softfail (~all) we can add "none" as well with less
fear of the above!

I always did feel I was over hasty in taking out softfail.  I think AOL
would be using that right now if that was there, and we'd be able to
gather much better data that way.