RE: Response to the Bellovin Critique of SPF

2004-01-25 08:24:37
I think that what we need here is to compile an issues list.

The issue is not whether SPF is the final solution to every possible
problem. The question is whether SPF provides a solution that provides a
significant cost/benefit.

Steve does have a point, there are email clients that display only the
display name and not the email address of an email user. So SPF is not the
last word on the phishing issue.

SPF does allow us to spam filter out strings such as E-Bay Customer Support
in the subject line if they are not from the real E-Bay Customer support. At
the moment that is not possible. Sure this is ad-hoc.

BUT
        * Ad-hoc fixes are what you end up doing when *
             a protocol design was botched.

        The IETF has had two decades to fix this, as far as
        the principle victims of phishing are concerned they
        will look beyond the IETF for a solution.

The high value phishing targets have a very high tollerance of cost, signing
each message is not an issue. For them a domain keys type solution would be
appropriate, tied in turn to a logotype enabled certificate and a client
that displayed the logo icon to the user as a result.

So an authentic E-Bay email would look something like

From: admin(_at_)e-bay (E-bay Customer Support)     +----+ +----+
                                               |VRSN| |EBAY|

                Phill