Re: The Case For XML in "Caller-ID for Email"

2004-01-24 09:28:23
On Sat, Jan 24, 2004 at 02:51:48AM +0100, Julian Mehnle wrote:

| Phil Howard [phil-spf-discuss(_at_)ipal(_dot_)net] wrote:
| > My original proposal of a DNS based Designated Sender mechanism was let
| > the DNS server itself perform all policy interpretation.  A DNS query
| > would (eventually) include all the necessary data about the arriving
| > email, including where it comes from, to allow that decision to be made.
|
| Uhhh, sorry to interfere, but that would imply a huge privacy problem
(prohibitively huge in some countries, especially in the European Union).  You
can't just give away a lot of details of private messages to 3rd party servers.
 And I'm glad that this isn't allowed here in the EU.

I disagree.  The information is not being given out to the public.  Instead,
it is given back to the domain owner whose name is being used.  I believe that
if my name is used by someone, privacy laws should not prevent me from being
aware of that.

Now I do support the idea of privacy, and I think that the US is extremely
weak on protecting privacy.  But I also believe that the use of my name is
not a volation of privacy when it is divulged to me.  If the EU "protects"
those who use other people's names in the context where they are claiming
to be that person, preventing the real name owner from even being aware,
then I'd say the EU has some serious problems on the scale where violating
the law is a just cause.

| Phil Howard KA9WGN       | http://linuxhomepage.com/      http://ham.org/ |
| (first name) at ipal.net | http://phil.ipal.org/   http://ka9wgn.ham.org/ |