Re: The Case For XML in "Caller-ID for Email"

2004-01-24 11:48:13
On Sat, Jan 24, 2004 at 05:48:24PM +0100, Julian Mehnle wrote:

| Phil Howard [phil-spf-discuss(_at_)ipal(_dot_)net] wrote:

[snip]

| > Now I do support the idea of privacy, and I think that the US is
| > extremely weak on protecting privacy.  But I also believe that the use
| > of my name is not a volation of privacy when it is divulged to me.  If
| > the EU "protects" those who use other people's names in the context
| > where they are claiming to be that person, preventing the real name
| > owner from even being aware, then I'd say the EU has some serious
| > problems on the scale where violating the law is a just cause.
|
| I don't think the EU has some serious problems on the scale where violating
the law is a just cause.  See above. ;-)

That depends on whether or not they consider a Designated Sender system to
be a privacy law violation.  My point is, if they do, there's a problem.
If the EU law gets in the way of protecting against identity theft, then
at least in that aspect, it is a bad law.

| Phil Howard KA9WGN       | http://linuxhomepage.com/      http://ham.org/ |
| (first name) at ipal.net | http://phil.ipal.org/   http://ka9wgn.ham.org/ |