Re: Using headers instead of SRS

2004-01-25 02:14:48
Greg Connor wrote:

Question 1.
Is there a required correlation between MAIL FROM and the header fields?

No. Just compare Sender (or however your mailer provides MAIL FROM) and From in this message.

Sender is the mailing list. From: is Me. Both are fully correct.

Trying to say "Sender MUST EQUAL From:" will prevent the use of SRS and thus cripple SPF.

As-is, however, SPF provides some soft of accountability on Sender without tampering with the message body. In doing so it clarifies the meaning of Mail From as "agent responsible for sending" without compromising the human-usable meaning of Header From.

Correlation between the two headers is no concern for SPF. If it needs flagging, it can be done in the mail client or by prepending warning notes as the message passes through the MTA.

There are situations where a difference between the two is correct. If we try and prevent this we wreck the adoption of SPF.

        Wechsler

--
This message protected by the SPF protocol - adopt it now!
Details: http://spfwiki.infinitepenguins.net/