RE: Using headers instead of SRS

2004-01-25 08:55:02
On 01/25/2004 at 03:50 it was written:

I see "forwarding pretty much breaks" as a pretty big incentive to make
sure SPFv2 fixes it.  Also, any approach that pays no attention to headers
at all will be of limited benefit to users.  I see those as pretty big
targets for SPFv2 to try and fix.

My thought (again, based on Meng's original question, and reviewing some
competing proposals, not my own off-the-wall idea) is that if there is an
approach that solves both problems, we should consider it.

You and I agree that basing everything on the envelope sender is great for
SPF.  I'm saying we should keep our eyes open for alternatives, competing
proposals, etc.

Perhaps I'm being too paranoid, but let's say SPF causes spammers to change
their behavior, but they adapt relatively quickly, and scramble the
envelope sender to not match the headers.  If SPF causes relatively little
pain for spammers, and much more pain for forwarders, administrators will
find themselves looking at alternate proposals.  If that happens, let's be
ready with v2.

Again, I'm certainly not saying that SPF is flawed.  It's a great tool and
I'm already using it.  It's going to be a moving target, that's all.

This is actually a good enough argument to address this issue in SPF1 rather
than wait for SPF2... The loss of confidence and faith among administrators
under SPF1 would adversely affect the implementation of SPF2. This could easily
jeopardize the viability of SPF being implemented worldwide...

Steven G. Willis     sgwillis(_at_)deepskytech(_dot_)com       772.794.9494
Deep Sky Technologies, Inc.          http://www.deepskytech.com/
http://www.badchickens.com/         http://www.store-secure.com/
AIM-iChat: dstisgwillis