SPF & Postfix Relayhosts for Cable Modems/DSL?

2004-01-27 14:24:27
Was wondering how the SPF ruleset would affect email from a residential
Cable Modem and/or DSL users who run a Postfix SMTP server on their home
box, but use the "relayhost" setting to the ISPs SMTP outgoing server to
avoid being labeled as "residential" server and blocked from some bigger
sites.

I have seen situations where emails never got to hotmail.com and/or aol.com
accounts unless the residential user did a relayhost through the ISPs SMTP
server.  Apparently some ISPs have designated whole IP address ranges as
"residential", and other ISPs consider residential smtp servers as most
likely a temporary spam server and/or abused open-relays and decide not to
deliver the mail.

Does the answer change if the server in question is using a Dyndns Custom
DNS for their own DNS records on their domain and decide to update their TXT
records to reflect the SPF settings?  I am wondering if SPF ruleset
determines the IP address by the original host IP or the relay-ing host IP.
If its the latter case, then an SPF record might do more harm than good in
an relayhost situation.  -- Thanks in advance for those who respond (I hate
cluttering up email lists with thank you notes)!

Wiki:
http://spfwiki.infinitepenguins.net/pmwiki.php/SenderPermittedFrom/HomePage