Help needed for SPF support in MTAs

2004-02-03 09:41:04
On Tue, Feb 03, 2004 at 09:27:00AM -0500, Matthew Barr wrote:
| I was curious if there's any ongoing conversations with any of those
| people, beyond the "Not publishing SPF yet"..
|
| And if there's anything that we should be doing to advocate for it..

A little less than two weeks from today, I have a deadline for a Linux
Journal article.  The article will talk about how to install SPF
checking in your MTA.

As things stand, you can go to the SPF website and download patches and
plugins, but Joe Average isn't going to want to do that.

It would be better if I could say "SPF probably already comes bundled in
your favourite distribution, be it a source tarball or a debian package
or RPM or ports."

Right now I can't do that.

How do we get from here to there?

On the postfix side, sjmudd(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com is thinking about how to do a
Postfix+SPF bundle.  Thanks Simon!

I need a volunteer to clean up the postfix policyd, add more
documentation, and add and test the "PREPEND" feature.

On the qmail side, I've been writing to Russ Nelson about something for
netqmail but he's probably waiting for the situation to shake out.

Exim has an ACL but it's not in the distribution.

Sendmail's got a Milter, but the need for a threaded perl puts off a lot
of people.  I believe libspf has a patch for sendmail, but it could use
some refinement --- can you call out to libspf using a standard sendmail
ruleset?

Lotus Notes, Exchange, and others --- not accounted for.

Latest draft at http://spf.pobox.com/draft-mengwong-spf-02.9.5.txt