Re: specification 02.9.7 released

2004-02-08 01:12:05
On Sun, 2004-02-08 at 01:09, Meng Weng Wong wrote:
 Latest draft at http://spf.pobox.com/draft-mengwong-spf-02.9.7.txt

This is the release candidate for what'll go into the Internet-Draft
archive.

Please take a look at it and tell me if you spot any problems.

I just noticed the nxdomain addition you made in 2.9.6:

|   If the domain does not exist (NXDOMAIN) an SPF client MAY return
|   either "fail" or "none".

What about allowing nxdomain to be one of the possible results instead?

So the spec would say something like the following in section 3:

|3. SPF Record Evaluation
|
|   An SPF client evaluates an SPF record and produces one of eight
|   results:
|
|     nxdomain: The domain does not exist.
|
|     None: The domain exists, but does not publish SPF data
|
|     Neutral (?): The SPF client MUST proceed as if a domain did not

This would make the spec give a deterministic answer for the nxdomain case,
pushing the decision about what to do for an nxdomain from the writer of the
client to the admin or the user.

(Given the fact that MTA's generally default to rejecting mail from domains that
don't exist, I'm guessing that spf milters and plug-ins and the like would
provide
similar defaults.)

Then the MTA's would no longer need to do a separate DNS query to test for the
existence of the domain in question if spf checking were enabled.  Currently
they'll check for the existence of the domain, and then any spf checks
immediately
do almost the same dns queries.  (Granted, the current double queries would
mostly
be cached.)

--
Mark Shewmaker