Re: specification 02.9.7 released

2004-02-08 20:47:15
Mark Lentczner wrote:

On Feb 8, 2004, at 3:13 PM, Karl Kraft wrote:

Also I've noticed many of the domains that implement SPF only do so for their top domain.
It does little good if everyone just enters the single SPF record for the domain alone as sidestepping becomes a simple matter.

This is only an issue for a domain if it accepts mail addressed to arbitrary subdomains. Many (most?) domains won't accept such mail. For example, at glyphic.com, we don't accept mail for www.glyphic.com, or ziggy.glyphic.com or such.

I'm not clear on why this isn't an issue. Let's say I get mail that claims to be from ziggy.glyphic.com. If I do a lookup on that machine, but don't step up to the parent domain, I don't have an SPF record to judge the validity of the message by. Maybe I'm just unclear on the concept, or missing something really obvious here.

Latest draft at http://spf.pobox.com/draft-mengwong-spf-02.9.7.txt