Re: specification 02.9.7 released

2004-02-08 09:10:10
On Sun, Feb 08, 2004 at 01:09:00AM -0500, Meng Weng Wong wrote:
 Latest draft at http://spf.pobox.com/draft-mengwong-spf-02.9.7.txt

This is the release candidate for what'll go into the Internet-Draft
archive.

Please take a look at it and tell me if you spot any problems.

I've found some I think.  Some may be considered nitpicking:

2.
   BNF of SPF-record is wrong

2.2.2
   Clients are NOT REQUIRED to fall back ...
   ... clients MUST NOT ....

   IMHO the meaning of "are NOT REQUIRED to" and "MUST NOT" is different.
   "not required" implicates it is optional. "must not" is forbidden.
   Perhaps "are NOT REQUIRED to" should read "MUST NOT".

3.1
   I'm not happy with the way versions are described.  Technically speaking
   "v=spf1+ext" is not SPF (space separated words, "+ext1" does not match
*DIGIT)
   and while the last line of this paragraph attempts to say this, it is not
clear.

3.2
   So mechanism "mx:/" is valid?  In 4.7, cidr speaks about "1*DIGIT" to
indicate
   at least one digit should follow the slash.  Omitting this here indicates it
is
   valid syntax.

4.1
   ``Mechanisms after "all" will never be tested.'' but will modifiers?
   What would "v=spf1 a -all redirect=..." do ? (see 5.1)

Appendix A
   BNF of version is incorrect

Appendix B2
   Example.org is listed three times, should read example.{org|net|com}

cheers,
Alex
--
begin  sig