Re: specification 02.9.7 released

2004-02-08 21:22:29
On Sun, 2004-02-08 at 22:47, David Brodbeck wrote:

I'm not clear on why this isn't an issue.  Let's say I get mail that
claims to be from ziggy.glyphic.com.  If I do a lookup on that machine,
but don't step up to the parent domain, I don't have an SPF record to
judge the validity of the message by.  Maybe I'm just unclear on the
concept, or missing something really obvious here.

If ziggy.glyphic.com doesn't resolve at all, then most MTAs would reject
emails with a mail from from there on that basis alone, before any spf
tests, so the lack of an spf record would be a non-issue.

If ziggy.glyphic.com it does resolve because of DNS wildcarding, then
presumably the *.glyphic.com domain owners would also have wildcarded
spf records as well.

(As an aside, I have posted comments on both issues too--I'm not
entirely convinced this is quite the absolute best way to do things, but
there's no actual holes in the spec as far as I can see.)

--
Mark Shewmaker
mark(_at_)primefactor(_dot_)com

Latest draft at http://spf.pobox.com/draft-mengwong-spf-02.9.7.txt