Re: Re: SRS and the 64 char limit

2004-02-13 18:45:51
In <20040214013111(_dot_)GA23747(_at_)csi(_dot_)hu>
mw-list-spf-discuss(_at_)csi(_dot_)hu writes:

On Tue, Feb 10, 2004 at 05:57:59PM -0800, James Couzens wrote:
SHA is bound to be larger?  (6 bytes per hash?)  Is there sufficient
reason to not go with base64 encoded MD5 hash?

As it has been pointed out before a few times: you cannot use base 64
in email addresses.

Well, I agree that using base64 is not a good idea, but others
disagree.  In particular, Meng says:

:    screw it, we're going to assume case sensitivity, and use base64.  if
:    it gets mangled, we drop it.  if it turns out that wasn't such a good
:    idea we can always put out a new version of the rfc before we get to
:    draft standard status.

The only mailer that I know of that uppercased email addresses was my
ex-wifes and that was a few years ago.  I no longer emailer her, so I
don't know if this is still the case.

If you actually have examples of where base64 will bit us, you might
want to give specific examples now.

-wayne