RE: Re: SRS and the 64 char limit

2004-02-10 17:23:22
Use SHA-1

The probability of collision between two given hashes is 2^160.

The probability of collision is insignificant for populations of 2^70 users
and it is unlikely populations will get much above 10 billion.

-----Original Message-----
From: Meng Weng Wong [mailto:mengwong(_at_)dumbo(_dot_)pobox(_dot_)com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 10, 2004 5:09 PM
To: spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
Subject: [spf-discuss] Re: SRS and the 64 char limit

On Tue, Feb 10, 2004 at 05:02:04PM -0500, George Schlossnagle wrote:

| >What do you think of the new Mail::SRS algorithm?
|
| How does this reconcile the reverse-path size limitations
imposed by
| rfc2821?

In theory, if we want to be entirely respectful of the 64
char limit, a
client could fall back when it encounters a strict server:

  C: MAIL
FROM:<srs0+veryveryveryveryveryveryveryveryveryveryvery-long-l
ocalpart(_at_)sender(_dot_)com>
  S: 550 sorry bub, localpart too long, try again

  C *thinks*

  C: MAIL FROM:<SHORT-DATABASE-KEY(_at_)sender(_dot_)com>
  S: 250 Ok

Mail::SRS has support for both the super-long version and the
database-key version.

In practice, the srs0/srs1 reduction algorithm allows us to keep the
localpart length reasonably bounded.  It may not fall within
64 all the
time but at least it won't grow without bound.

I think the 64 char limit needs to go away.

Latest draft at http://spf.pobox.com/spf-draft-20040209.txt
Wiki:
http://spfwiki.infinitepenguins.net/pmwiki.php/SenderPermittedFrom/
To unsubscribe, change your address, or temporarily
deactivate your subscription,