Re: Re: SRS and the 64 char limit

2004-02-13 21:19:23
On Sat, Feb 14, 2004 at 03:02:25AM +0100, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:

| I'd be interested in hearing about actual problems with case
| sensitive addresses seen now.  I know that in the past, certain
| IBM-based MTAs and MUAs had a tendency to upcase everything in sight,
| but it's been many years since I've seen those in the wild.

A lot of people have pointed out that standards ossify on the Internet.
I've had a lot of people say to me that in standards development, you
have to get it right the first time because on the Net you only get one
chance.

I don't think that's true.

SPF will break a lot of things.  But those things need to be broken.
Interoperability with servers written in 1988 is a nice-to-have, not a
must-have.  We can't let old standards suffocate the new.