Re: What does SRS break [was: A couple of thoughts]

2004-02-16 06:28:56
On Mon, 16 Feb 2004, Brian Candler wrote:

What is SRS likely to break? If you send messages with varying envelope
return-paths, I imagine it must break most existing whitelist-based filters,
and perhaps also closed mailing lists which prevent postings from
non-subscribers.

In theory, these things should only see the headers and not the envelope,
and thus should be delightfully unaware of SRS.

However, in the case that someone does break layers with something like
this, the SRS address is unescaped, therefore it's easy enough to upgrade.
It's a basic tenet that anyone who breaks layers does so at their own
risk.

Or do such filters typically use the From: header of a message, rather than
the envelope return-path, in which case it's less likely to be a problem?

Theoretically, yes. I don't have enough practical knowledge of many
filtering systems to say otherwise.

S.

--
Shevek                                    http://www.anarres.org/