Re: A couple of thoughts

2004-02-18 05:59:23
Dustin D. Trammell writes:
Brian Candler wrote:
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I can't see that SPF is going to
make a significant impact on the received noise from joe-jobs until
the majority of Internet providers implement SPF filters AND the
majority of domains declare SPF info.

Since publishing SPF records and enabling SPF checks on my MTA a week or
so ago for a handful of vanity domains, I've only gotten 3 SPF fails
(granted, this is an extremely low volume server).  However, I have
gotten a whole boatload of SPF passes which I am currently allowing
around my spam filters.  All but one of the SPF passes I have received
have been legitimate messages.

So if I interpret this correctly: what you are saying is that you get very few joe-job bounces anyway, so SPF hasn't made any difference to you. Unfortunately, I get dozens of them per day. Eventually when pobox.com starts publishing an SPF policy for my individual address (b(_dot_)candler(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com) which matches the IP ranges I send from, I can be happy that I won't get joe-jobs relayed via your system or others who have enabled SPF, but I still will from the other 90%+ of the Internet :-( Brian.