What does SRS break [was: A couple of thoughts]

2004-02-16 04:18:53
Just while we're discussing SRS (and since nobody has yet pointed me to a
searchable archive of this list :-)

What is SRS likely to break? If you send messages with varying envelope
return-paths, I imagine it must break most existing whitelist-based filters,
and perhaps also closed mailing lists which prevent postings from
non-subscribers.

These are pretty important services, and one reason I can see why having a
widely adopted "standard" for SRS-format addresses, which such software can
be upgraded to recognise. But in the short term, users whose addresses are
munged with SRS are going to see problems, aren't they?

Or do such filters typically use the From: header of a message, rather than
the envelope return-path, in which case it's less likely to be a problem?

Regards,

Brian.