Re: tagging the return path from the get-go

2004-02-19 08:31:37
On Fri, Feb 13, 2004 at 05:43:01PM +0000, Brian Candler wrote:
On Fri, Feb 13, 2004 at 11:46:56AM -0500, Meng Weng Wong wrote:
It would be interesting to consider how
VERP and TMDA and TitanKey also approach this problem.

  http://cr.yp.to/proto/verp.txt

I think VERP is just a generic name for rewriting the envelope sender for
each message. DJB's document describes using this to identify which member
of a mailing list a bounce belongs to, or which individual message out of a
set was bounced. He doesn't consider envelope forgery.

He does in ezmlm list manager ( http://cr.yp.to/ezmlm.html) to handle
subscriptions reliably. Here is a return address to be used to confirm
your subscription intent

djb-discuss-sc(_dot_)1039967600(_dot_)aifhlffmkkokemhkaelb-mw-list-djb-discuss(_at_)î>%æí+ç??Ò¬

Looks familiar...

SRS proposes to implement the subscription handling part of ezmlm for
every email user, but to handle (back) forwarding of bounces, some
people suggest that some subprograms (like qmail-local) of existing
MTAs would have to run setuid.

Mate
--
---
Mate Wierdl | Dept. of Math. Sciences | University of Memphis