Re: DNS gurus: What is the max length of a TXT rec ords?

2004-02-22 03:49:15
--spf-discuss(_at_)jburst(_dot_)org wrote:

Individual strings in a text record can be no longer than 255 bytes, but
the TXT RR itself can have any number of individual strings (up to the
64k DNS limit).

example.com   IN   TXT   "string which is 255 characters..." "another
string which is 255 characters..." "still another 255 character string"

Each string is limited to 255 bytes because DNS encodes strings with a
leading unsigned length byte on the wire. In theory, you can have an
unlimited number of strings up to the 64k total RR size limit, if you're
willing to do TCP.

-- Jeff

Is this really true? I thought that IN TXT "1234" "5678" would be sent as a single record, and I don't think there is such a thing as multiple "strings" within a single record.

Anyway, to the original question, I think we should strongly encourage publishers to use include features if they have to go over 200 or so.

gregc