Re: SPF and SMTP 551/251 result codes.

2004-03-26 14:55:57
On Fri, Mar 26, 2004 at 03:48:53PM -0500, Theo Schlossnagle wrote:

| The point I set out to make was that sending the 551 back to the sender
| is a completely legitimae thing to do with that sort of SMTP rejection.

  A -> B -> C

If the forwarder doesn't do SRS, the rejection will happen one way or
another ---

What's been proposed is

  A X) B -> C

But it seems easier to just let the failure occur like with

  A -> B X) C

It seems easier all around if the rejection happens at C than at B.
After all, it's A and C who are doing SPF, and B is the "innocent" ---
if B is going to start rejecting SPF mail, it looks like it's getting
involved just to make a point.

Commercial forwarders are going to have to do SRS anyway, because
they're in the business of making things work, not making things break.