Re: SPF and SMTP 551/251 result codes.

2004-03-26 15:02:16
On Fri, 2004-03-26 at 16:56 -0500, Stuart D. Gathman wrote:
I think it should be up to the SPF-publishing sender.  If their users
are numerous and of the type that don't read bounces, then they had better
take the trouble to implement auto redirecting 551 responses in the MTA.

On the other hand, for a small office like ours, all the users know
how to read - although the PHB needs to be reminded occasionally to
read the error message before asking me why his mail bounced.

True. Perhaps making it mandatory is over the top. It should be
RECOMMENDED by the SPF specification that senders with SPF records
SHOULD behave appropriately upon receipt of a 551 response. If you don't
want to do that and it breaks, you get to keep both pieces.

--
dwmw2