Re: SPF and SMTP 551/251 result codes.

2004-03-26 15:24:31
David Woodhouse wrote:

On Fri, 2004-03-26 at 16:55 -0500, Meng Weng Wong wrote:
Commercial forwarders are going to have to do SRS anyway, because
they're in the business of making things work, not making things break.

The idea of making 551-obedience mandatory for SPF publishers makes
things work _without_ such onerous requirements on forwarders. Isn't
that a good thing?

At least we could say that domain publishing SPF 'SHOULD' react to a 551
response to a 'RCPT TO:' by sending the mail to the indicated address,
rather than bouncing.
If a forwarder chooses to forward mail to roleaccount(_at_)whitehouse(_dot_)gov, it will come from that machine. If a forwarder decided it didn't like a bulk mailer (legit or not) it could just start returning 551 try <roleaccount(_at_)whitehouse(_dot_)gov> and then the bulk mailer is going to effectivelty attach the whitehouse.gov mail systems.

This is precisely the reason we want to implement SPF in the first place. If I send a mail to a forwarder and they choose to be obnoxious and send all mails from me to roleaccount(_at_)whitehouse(_dot_)gov, at least they originate from the forwarders IP space. SPF would mean that they would also be fraudulantly using my domain name in the return path and it should be detected and rejected by the victim site.

It just seems that all these steps to help forwarders just reduce the accountability that SPF is supposed to add.

Return path rewriting means that a forwarder will take responsibility for processing the return path if they choose to forward the message onward. This prevents the above style of abuse and is more accountable on the part of the forwarder. In addition to the reasons Meng mentioned for forwarder adoption, I'd say that some forwarders will adopt this and become more responsible and accountable for the mail they choose to forward. Then the straggling forwarders wil be force to adopt because they will be viewed as less responsible and less accountable if they do not.

The propsed method of 551s makes and assumption that forwarders are trustworthy and always in control of their machines. While I would agree that the first is more true than not, the second is not something I want to rely on. Return path rewriting combined with SRS allows us to _not_ trust the forwarders. As SMTP shows us, a system that is trusting is prone to abuse.

--
// Theo Schlossnagle
// Principal Engineer -- http://www.omniti.com/~jesus/