adoption schedule

2004-03-30 15:39:47
On Tue, Mar 30, 2004 at 10:09:10PM +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:

| > > AOL *is* showing SPF records, it is just that they use ?all instead of
| > > -all.  I think that SPF is just too new for them to commit to using
| > > ~all or -all.
| > >
| >     Hell I wonder what it would take to get them to commit to it.
|
| Maybe they're waiting for the flag day to pass and the whole world to
| upgrade to EmailV2 by implementing SRS?
|
| Until that happens, they'd be asking the world to throw away valid mail
| from their customers if they switched to '-all'.

Yeah, forwarding and web-generated-email are the two obstacles to
immediate global adoption of -all.

I propose that we publish a schedule to put forwarders and
web-generated-emailers on notice that they need to implement SRS by X
date after which more and more domains will start switching to -all.

There will be outcry, but it's worth biting the bullet and taking one
for the team.

We can coordinate the publication of this schedule with the publication
of the SPF spec as an RFC by the IETF, which should happen ... in the
next few months.