Re: Here come the feds!

2004-04-02 09:12:26

On Fri, 2 Apr 2004, Meng Weng Wong spewed into the bitstream:

MWW>Lots of anarcho-libertarian types celebrated the rise of the Internet as
MWW>a government-free technocratic utopia of philosopher-kings.  Now we're
MWW>learning that the alternative to governance is not the lack of
MWW>government but simply an lternative government.  And we're struggling to
MWW>catch up.  Does the IETF have what it takes to stay relevant?
MWW>
MWW>That's why we've been pushing SPF so hard: because if there were
MWW>anything better out there, we'd be pushing for that instead.

I run a mailing list called mailhelp on my moongroup.com domain and after
I started setting up to use SPF we discussed it on that list. The archives
are here:

http://moongroup.com/pipermail/mailhelp/2004-March/thread.html

It seems some people bought into some of the "anti-SPF" conclusions made
on the postfix mailing list and we had quite a discussion about it. For my
part I finally summed up my own point of view in two comments:

Comment 1:

Wietse said:

"SPF like mechanisms curtail the use of domain names in sender
addresses. That is not the same thing as eliminating spam."

http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/postfix/2004-01/1733.html

He is correct but he left something out. I would have said it this way:

"SPF like mechanisms curtail the inappropriate use of domain names in
sender addresses. That is not the same thing as eliminating spam. It is
the placement of a control on who can use my domain name in their sender
address and that is exactly what I want to achieve!"

End Comment 1.

Comment 2:

reiterated after my first comment (see above) I replied:

"I have read them and do not necessarily agree with some of the
conclusions made."

End Comment 2.

So... IMHO it is painfully obvious to any observer that something has to
be done to stem the flow of malicious and resource wasting material
flowing across the net via email. I, for one, will use every available,
viable tool to do just that! Anyone who doesn't is just crazy or stupid.

- --
csm
Lunar Linux Project Lead
Disclaimer: "I am not a curmudgeon! No... really..."
Addendum: "Bwahahaha! Fire up the orbital mind-control lasers!"