Re: Here come the feds!

2004-04-02 13:57:21
I read an interesting article lately (that I can't find) that had a similar
thread.  Essentially, once a technology (railroad, phone, Internet(?),
Windows(?)) becomes an 'infrastructure' technology, it should be regulated
because of the potential for abuse/misuse.  An 'infrastructure' technology was
defined as one upon which society is dependent/is built upon.

Marc

From: Meng Weng Wong <mengwong(_at_)dumbo(_dot_)pobox(_dot_)com>
Date: 2004/04/02 Fri AM 10:16:10 EST
To: spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
Subject: [spf-discuss] Here come the feds!

Let's hope we can make a dent in spam before World Government decides it
needs to get involved.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/internet/04/01/cybersecurity.ap/index.html

That sure put the fear o' God into me.

And the thing is, it's true --- note second sentence.

  The public acknowledgment that any level of new government regulation
  might be needed to improve software security represents an important
  shift by the technology industry. It has vigorously contested mandates
  from Washington during the past decade, even in the face of increasingly
  devastating attacks by new generations of hackers and viruses.

There are a lot of technologists out there who seem to think that the
public is less ready for change than it actually is.

Won't break anything; deployable; effective; pick two.

If you don't pick, the UN will pick for you, and you might get zero out
of three instead.

Lots of anarcho-libertarian types celebrated the rise of the Internet as
a government-free technocratic utopia of philosopher-kings.  Now we're
learning that the alternative to governance is not the lack of
government but simply an lternative government.  And we're struggling to
catch up.  Does the IETF have what it takes to stay relevant?

That's why we've been pushing SPF so hard: because if there were
anything better out there, we'd be pushing for that instead.

Latest draft at http://spf.pobox.com/spf-draft-200403.txt