Re: Just how many of the boxen really *need* to be in the spf rr

2004-04-05 09:41:23
At 03:27 PM 4/4/2004, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
My concern is that we avoid *insisting* on either a valid ptr, or that a PTR match an A record that in turn matches the PTR. There is a potential benefit in blocking forgeries that fake PTR records to point to a PTR permitted hostname and then lie about what their hostname is. That way lies a nasty, nasty little verification cycle that is inappropriate to insist be valid. Forward A records matching the PTR records are *not* required for valid DNS, and should not be required for SPF.

If no verification is to be done on PTR records, then the PTR mechanism should be removed from SPF. Otherwise SPF records containing ptr will be targeted because they are easy to forge - all a spammer would have to do is create a PTR record pointing to the target domain.

If SPF is going to validate a sender based on its PTR record, SPF *must* be able to trust that PTR record. Without that forward lookup, the ptr mechanism would be a big, tempting loophole.

Kelson Vibber