Re: first spf-enabled spam

2004-04-13 06:12:03
David wrote:
Hi !!

With SPF, only blueyonder customers can forge the MAIL FROM.  Of course,
anyone can still forge the From:.

sorry, but any spammer could easly hack a computer in blueyonder dls/cable zone and start forging their addresses.

Raising the bar to require hacking a system in the zone you wish
to pretend to be from is a significant improvement over the current
state of affairs, where you can forge a message to be from _anywhere_
just by tweaking a variable in your spam software.

well, think about how some filters like spamassassin will score a spf
pass, if they take that in account, i'm sure spammers will start seeking
dsl/cable spf-authorized hosts to hack and use to spam. This will make
blueyonder customers a prefered target for spammers, not very great ...

Look at the spam viruses out there and tell me they aren't already a preferred target (along with Comcast, Earthlink, and other broadband customers).

Remember, there are other tools out there besides SPF.  They're meant to
be used together.  Just because a message passes the SPF check doesn't
automatically mean it's a Message From God That You Have To Read.

that's exactly what i realized last days, that spf pass is not anything
meaningful

Please put the shoe on the other foot for a moment, it is quite meaningful, especially when the pass is on _your_ domain.

I'm still inclined to put a negative score on SPF passes despite the
fact that it can let spam through, because my users get quite
upset with me if I generate false positives, and SPF pass is the most
reliable way I've found so far to ensure that AOL subscriber's e-mails get through the spam filter cleanly (for some reason they create most of my false positives).

--
Daniel Taylor          VP Operations            Vocal Laboratories, Inc.
dtaylor(_at_)vocalabs(_dot_)com   http://www.vocalabs.com/