Re: spf-draft-200404.txt -- Happy spammers

2004-04-26 06:21:43
Yet another reason why NXDOMAIN shouldn't necessarily cause a reject is that SPF checks are also done on HELO names (for DSNs) and there are many, many, many systems out there that don't HELO with fully-qualified domain names, and hence their DSNs would be rejected if NXDOMAIN resulted in a reject. Anyone running a mailing list going to non-technical people will be aware of this. I had to hack the SPF milter to not do checks on HELO names until M:S:Q 1.997 came out. Now I can do "the right thing" and can score against bogus HELOs using the added Received-SPF: header, which I'm much happier about than rejecting all bounces from such sites.

As for spammers that forge my domain or IP address in their HELO, or use non-existent domains in the MAIL FROM:, they're rejected by sendmail rulesets and never even get as far as SPF checks.

Paul.