Re: spf-draft-200404.txt -- Happy spammers

2004-04-26 12:56:53
Roger Moser wrote:

The latest specification says:

2.2.2. Lookup
If the domain does not exist (NXDOMAIN) an SPF client MUST return
"unknown".

3. SPF Record Evaluation
Unknown: indicates incomplete processing: an MTA MUST proceed as if a
domain did not publish SPF data.

This will make the spammers and virus authors happy. Now they
simply have to
use a return-path with an non-existing domain, and their spam
or virus will
be delivered.

If spammers use an invalid domain in their return path, I don't
need SPF to bin it, my MTA, like Sendmail and others can (an
will) reject it anyway.

I see this change as helping to avoid duplication with the MTA
allowing the MTA to make simple no-brainer decisions.
Additionally not clouding any scoring mechanism by double
counting

Karl.P

Email via Mailtraq4Free from Enstar (www.mailtraqdirect.co.uk)