Re: I RTFM but still have a simple ?

2004-04-26 10:19:40
Alain Knaff wrote:
begin  Monday 26 April 2004 15:38, Daniel Taylor quote:

For domains with users that legitimately use forwarding services that do
not generate a valid (local to the forwarder) envelope from, simply
set ?all or ~all in the SPF record.

Should it really the sender's responsibility to care about forwarding?
Usually, forwarding has been set up by the _receiver_, and the sender
often has no way of knowing that adresses that he sends to might be
forwarded.

My bag, I was thinking backwards on this paragraph. It would be the
receiver's responsibility here again.

Still, I don't think that SPF would lose its "moral authority" over
this, because these local policy exceptions for forwarder can only
make SPF more permissive, never more restrictive. That is, a mail
message might get accepted even though the sender said it shouldn't,
but never the other way round.

This was my ultimate point. SPF, as defined, only provides a set of
_recommendations_, which can be taken to the extent practicable
by all parties involved. If a fully strict SPF invocation would cause
you problems as either sender or receiver you can relax the rules
to reflect your needs.

--
Daniel Taylor          VP Operations            Vocal Laboratories, Inc.
dtaylor(_at_)vocalabs(_dot_)com   http://www.vocalabs.com/