Re: I RTFM but still have a simple ?

2004-04-26 15:59:15

----- Original Message -----
From: "wayne" <wayne(_at_)midwestcs(_dot_)com>
To: <spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com>
Sent: Monday, April 26, 2004 12:19 PM
Subject: Re: [spf-discuss] I RTFM but still have a simple ?

In <408D10BF(_dot_)6080701(_at_)vocalabs(_dot_)com> Daniel Taylor
<dtaylor(_at_)vocalabs(_dot_)com>
writes:

David Woodhouse wrote:
Basically, SPF does not work with today's email system -- it requires
everyone to start using SMTP AUTH (even when it's firewalled), and it
also requires some even more convoluted behaviour when forwarding
email.
Only then does it work without any false positives such as the one you
pointed out.

Mr. Woodhouse, why do you dislike SPF so much?

Dave is pretty good about speaking for himself, but I'll respond as
much to make sure I I understand his position correctly as anythign.

One of the things Dave really doesn't like about SPF is how it forces
email forwarders to have to change even if they want nothing to do
with SPF.  The forwarders are neither publish SPF records, nor
checking them, and yet they have to use something like SRS in order to
continue working.

The current unauthorized and unverified forwarding has got to go.

Most such email with the from addresses not associated with the actual IP or
domain of the sender is now viral, according to my limited logs. Most of the
rest is spam. After that, there's a very few users whom I'm educating on the
problems of forwarding and finding better ways to do what they thought was
best served by forwarding.