RE: XML enables nested error handling

2004-05-29 04:44:36
Stuart D. Gathman wrote:
v=spf1 mx (include:otherdomain.tld|error:(mx:otherdomain.tld ?all)) -all

I can see already I got it wrong, so don't miss the point.  The point is that
any such scheme is going to require nesting syntax (supplied by parenthesis
above).  And as soon as you require nesting syntax, you might as well
use XML.

This argument is, IMHO, invalid. While I am open to the option of nested error
handling, I do not see XML as the best vehicle. The SPF syntax you provided
above is easy to read, understand, and parse. The equivalent in XML would be a
really big and complicated mess.

Imagine this argument: "We need a vehicle with the ability to transport 6 adult
passengers across town. So, my sports car isn't a viable solution because it
only seats 2 adults. We could use my minivan, but we might as well charter a
commercial bus, because they seat 47, include bathrooms, and some complete
stranger will be driving."

Um, that would be insane. Use the minivan instead.

Michael R. Brumm